Campbell’s Stores Redevelopment at The Rocks, in partnership with Buildcorp Interiors has been presented the Award for Restoration/Adaptive Re-Use of an Historic Building ($25,000 & over), winning recognition for its construction excellence and the contribution it has made to the build environment.
The Master Builders Associations of NSW Excellence in Construction Awards is recognised throughout the industry as a hallmark annual event for the commercial, industrial and civil engineering sectors. The Awards celebrates outstanding achievements by companies and individuals in the New South Wales building and construction industry.
Campbell’s Stores at The Rocks date back to Australia in 1839 and has state and national historic significance. When passengers arrive at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, ‘the stores’ highlight Sydney’s colonial origins to them. Recently, the stores have been used as restaurants, but the fabric of the whole building was in much need of restoration.
Over 14 months, Buildcorp carefully restored and modernised the full building to create new tenancies for fine dining restaurants, including 6 Head and forthcoming seafood restaurant The Catch, opening early December. These features have improved accessibility and amenities, with an enhanced forecourt better connected to The Rocks precinct via a sweeping concrete staircase.
The project consisted of three floors of restoration along 11 bays and the building is now restored to its former glory. Buildcorp can be rightly proud of its contribution towards saving and reinvigorating an icon of Sydney’s colonial era.