The place where Church Street meets the Parramatta River has been an important crossing point since colonial settlement.

In 1804 the Gaol Bridge linked the Parramatta township to the gaol on the northern bank. By 1835 it was in such poor condition that David Lennox, Superintendent of Bridges, was asked to prepare a design for a new stone bridge. Lennox’s bridge was built in two stages and was completed in 1839.

In 1929 the Department of Main Roads (DMR) built a concrete bridge along the western side of Lennox Bridge, that buried Lennox’s western wall below Church Street.
The new portals have been designed as a journey through time that reveals traces of all of these previous bridges.